Thursday, March 19, 2009

Alternative Spring Break 2009

I thought it may be good to reflect on my ASB experience since many people have been asking me. We went down to Gulfport - Orange Grove, MS for about 6 days. I have always enjoyed camping and this was an amazing opportunity to spend some time in plastic 'tents' and do some good in the community. After the first half of the semester, I was feeling quite drained of energy and good attitude and I was hoping that couple days of good old manual work would help me.

Here is what I learned that week:

1. Friends of your friends will most likely be wonderful people - Diana Tinlin, who is my friend Molly's roommate, is such a wonderful person. I was blessed to work with her in a group.

2. Angry man does more bad than good - When pouring a self leveling substance onto our floor, this man came to our house (he was the site mgr) to tell us how all we did was done wrong. His attitude made one of our team members cry, two of us were trying to comfort her, and the result? All the leveling stuff in our bucket hardened. This man was still determined to use it all and after his attempt to pour this now quite thick stuff on the floor, it became even more uneven than before. Way to go. Here is what happened to the rest of the substance - it became rock hard :)

3. Don't try to wash an oil based primer from a brush or bucket with bare hands - mine became very white for several days after this attempt.

4. Razor works surprisingly well for removing oil based paint from your hands - this I found out after #4 happened.

5. Southern accent rocks!

6. It is possible to miss someone other than my family while being on a trip.

7. When God is in people's hearts, they are beautiful - the man whose house we worked on was so wonderful. You would expect him to be bitter after having everything damaged by the storm, but he was so grateful and happy man!

8. Envy is quite unappealing - we had this small dispute over some groups going to New Orleans and others not going. I so wanted to go, and now I feel bad after seeing how some people can react to having less than others.

9. I can kick soccer ball with either foot and get the same result :)

10. God was there with me - when I watched the sun set and rise, spent time alone or with friends, He was there.

11. I want to go back and also do more service here on campus.

So, how about some more pictures now?

My group's leader Kris


My group - Diana, Shami, and Mike


All of us at Sonics


Here is my 'podmate' and friend Jena


No comments: