Thursday, April 9, 2009

Friends, Ethnicity, Body of Christ

Today, Paul Hassle talked at IVCF about Ethnicity - esp. people who come from different culture. I was actually quite happy to hear him say what I have been saying all along - that what is different is not necessarily wrong. 

Words like NORMAL, ACCEPTABLE, and NATURAL, just sort of infiltrated our language that we use them even without thinking. Anything that is 'normal' is good and friendly, makes us comftable, anything that is not is wrong... from my experience, many people (including me on occasion) think like this. 

However, as Christians, Jesus calls us not to judge other people for their differences, He wants us to love others, pray for our enemies, and understand those who come from different cultures. Jesus or the apostles served those who were of different cultures and were reffered to as 'dogs' by the Jews. They knew that the kingdom of God is not just for some selected group of believers. After all, we are all one body of Christ. We can learn from each other how to serve God better and worship him in our friendships. 

Yes, I have to admit that being an international student somewhat made me have many friends who do not come from the same culture as I do... in fact, none of those who do come from the same culture are at Behrend. I agree with Paul, I have learned a lot from all of you, friends, crazy Americans, Asians, or African Americans (all meant in the best sense). Haha, you do indeed surprise me time to time with things, but that makes life more exciting and interesting!

I am thankful that God blessed me with so many friends here at school. Now that I think about it, I could say that all my friends are foreigners to me since none of them are from the Czech Republic, but I don't. They are my family :)


Rom 12:3-21  For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.  (4)  For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function,  (5)  so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.  (6)  Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them...  

What do you think about this? Have you ever learned anything from your international friends?

No comments: