Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Paris, je t'aime... Samedi

So I took a trip to Paris on June 7th and 8th and have to admit that it was wonderful time spent. First, I got to go alone, which has its advantages and second, the weather was on traveler's side - meaning sunny/cloudy but almost no rain.
Right when I arrived, I got a bit lost while trying to buy a ticket for Paris Metro, but eventually this guy (METRO employee) showed up right in front of me and helped me to get everything set up. I bought a 1 day ticket which paid off about million times. Then I took my first metro, switched trains and popped up right in Montmartre, about 200m from Sacre Coeur. As a well-prepared tourist, I had my Michelin green guide at hand and was set to follow the walking tour described there. So instead of getting to Sacre Coeur in 5 minutes, it took me a whole hour!
Afterwards, I decided not to follow the guide and not to take any more walking tours, unless I wanted to visit every single street in Paris and spend there couple weeks.
Another 20 minutes on train took me to La Defense which without a doubt is the most modern "quartier" in Paris. The rest of my Saturday was then spent on Champs Elysees, near Louvre, and by visiting the Opera house and Madeleine (a church).
Once I decided to find my hotel, things got a bit rough. After passing by a group of men most probably using drugs, I turned into this very tiny street. There was not a hint of Hotel Neptune there, only a little sign "hotel" was sticking out in front of little door. I decided to enter that house and was welcomed by an Asian lady who could speak neither good French, nor English. She did not believe I was supposed to be in the hotel until I showed her my reservation confirmation. The hallway was full of suitcases with Chinese signs on them and it seemed to me that I could expect at least a bus full of Chinese tourists. My room was very nice though and clean. My neighbors were very quiet and there was nothing to complain about.

No comments: